The MCC Club XI competition originated in the early 1896 when there was an excess of MCC players available to play in the VCA competition teams. To provide all players with a game of cricket, the MCC organised an internal competition and initially formed five teams skippered by Messrs. Gordon, Rhind, Culliton, Lamb and Howden and finished in that order. Eventually groups of these players who had other common interests (e.g. former school mates) formed their own teams where in the 1926/27 season, Old Melburnians, Old Scotch and Old Xaverians joined the competition which now comprised of four MCC sides known as MCC “A”, MCC “B”, MCC “C” and MCC “D”. Over the years more clubs joined and in season 1949/50, the Premiers were awarded the inaugural Hector Donahoo trophy which the clubs still play for today.
A second division was introduced in season 2012/13 following more clubs entering multiple teams and new clubs registering. The premiers of Division 2 are awarded the David Tallala Trophy.
Further growth of teams entered in the competition resulted in a third division in season 2014/15. The premiers of Division 3 are awarded the Carl Nunan Trophy.